Thursday, March 31, 2011

Nothing Like a Little Comfort Food Gone Sweet!

Another busy couple of days have passed, filled with work, errands, and appointments. Trying to squeeze everything in before the weekend when you have a zillion things going on is never fun. This weekend marks my 30th Birthday! Ugh. 30. Actually, I'm not dreading it as much as I thought I would. But, ohhhhh how I will miss my 20's I'm sure.

In between the hustle and bustle of the week we did fit in a few fun things, like getting to the playground before it snows again tonight and the chance to make these incredibly delicious "food" cupcakes. Pictured here are the mashed potatoes and spaghetti and meatballs that I made yesterday afternoon.


Why food cupcakes you ask? Well, it all comes down to Punkin Heads 2nd birthday which is at the end of April. All week the hubby and I have been bouncing ideas back and forth for a theme for the party, and have finally settled on one, we think.

Barnyard Hoedown is the winner! Complete with red and white check table cloths, balloons, cake pops that look like farm animals, and cupcakes that resemble cook-out type foods :)

So, of course I have been obsessed with searching online for the cutest foods and critters I can find. My top finds so far are Bakerella's sweet little sheep and other critters, and amazing food cupcakes on Our Best Bites. They seemed so simple I decided to make them during Dooda's nap. I will post a more detailed recipe later - but, for now to answer all the "what the heck is that??" questions going through your heads - the Mashed potatoes are simply frosting, a yellow Starburst smooshed into a "pat" of butter and caramel syrup as gravy. And the spaghetti is piped frosting, a Ferrero Rocher candy for the meatball, raspberry jam for sauce, and grated white chocolate for parmesan cheese. GENIUS! And they were actually really fun to make. I even got Dan to participate last night, he thought they were pretty funny and brought a dozen to work today.

The hubby and I also tested our creative side and made "corn on the cob" last night.Complete with corn holders. Not as wonderful as the spaghetti and mashed potatoes. Unfortunately, I didn't have all the ingredients on hand for salt and pepper, and had to get crafty with the few Jelly Belly's I had on hand, but you get the idea :)


I'm really excited for this little party - I hope I can pull it all off.
If any of you have any other ideas for our Barnyard Hoedown - do tell! I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Care to Share?