Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Super Saving Momma!

From yesterdays post you all now know that I have started a new job.

So what is it?

Well, I'm declaring myself a couponing, Super Saving Momma! And YES thats my official job title! That's a job, right? I think it is!

For the past month I have been trying to put my coupon game face on. I wanted to be able to contribute a little more to our family, without having to add in more hours at my actual job which would lead to finding another babysitter for the Punkin. In my mind I decided that if I really hunker down and spend some time figuring out the coupon world I'd be able to save some money, and the money that I'm saving would be like my "paycheck". Extreme couponing in my near future? Definitely not! I'm not THAT into it, but if I can save a buck here and there I'm all for it.

Between register rewards, coupons, and shopping for deals of the week at different stores I have managed to cut the amount I spend per week down by $60 - $80! Amazing what a little time and effort can do!

My stores of choice have been Walgreens, Rite Aid, CVS, Target and Hannaford and/or Market Basket. Mainly because they are close for me, but I have other reasons for hand picking those as well. The rewards the pharmacies offer are great, once you get the hang of them. You have to spend a little money to make a little there. Last week was my first time using Rite Aid's rewards program combined with coupons. And I'm pretty happy with how I made out.

Last Week's Rite Aid Savings: I spent $31 out of pocket on about $60 worth of items. I also got back $10 in rewards as well.


And yes, I admit, its a little bit time consuming to be out to all of these stores during the week instead of just doing all of your shopping at one store. But the savings are well worth it!


Last week's Walgreen's Savings: I spent $19 out of pocket. And received $8 in rewards.
The large bottles of shampoo/conditioner and 2 tubes of toothpaste alone would have cost me more than $19!


    Not bad for a novice, right?

    I start at 8am on Monday and hit Walgreen's, CVS, Target and Hannaford (or Market Basket). Usually we are home by lunch time.

    Of course I sometimes need to fit Michael's or Joann's Fabrics in there too for some crafty supplies - with coupons too of course!  So that tends to drag out my shopping trip. Punkin is a good shopping partner though and usually has no complaints.

    Last week's fabric finds. Cute, aren't they?


    In all seriousness - I'd have to grocery shop at some point anyways. And with this schedule I can hit all the stores at once, early in the week when most of the good deals aren't sold out.

    I do need to put the time in on Sunday to get my coupons and lists in order. Its not a fool proof way to save money, you DO have to put a little time into it to reap the rewards. I also cut out all the coupons I'm NOT going to use and put them in an album. I share those with friends so they can join in on the savings too!

    What about the paycheck you ask? It is a job and all, so pay is a must. I figure that what I save is what I make.

    If I saved $80 and spent 3 to 4 hours shopping on Monday, plus 2 to 3 hours couponing and making lists on Sunday, I "worked" for a max of 7 hours.
    So $80 in 7 hours gives me $11.43 an hour. Not GREAT pay, but better than nothing!

    And TECHNICALLY I'm getting paid to shop, so thats the BIG plus side!

    The sense of satisfaction, and the challenge of finding a great deal is so rewarding to me. I think I'm becoming addicted...

    Have any good couponing tips or sites to share? Id LOVE to hear about them!

    No comments:

    Care to Share?