Saturday, October 1, 2011

What's in a Name?


I hope you all had a wonderful first day of October.
We had a fantastic day - it's my niece Kalyn's 3rd Birthday today! 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET GIRL!

Isn't her name great? 
My sister wanted to incorporate both of our names 
into her daughters name when she was born. 
So she took the KA from my name (Katie) 
and LYN from her middle name (Jennie Lyn) 
and popped them together to get Kalyn. 
So creative and heartwarming. I love them to pieces!


How did you choose your kid's names? 
A family name? 
Something that has meaning for you?
Did it just have a good ring to it?
Did you lose a bet?? (Just kidding!)

Here to tell us about how she picked her kid's names 
is Lena from Mom2MemphisAndRuby.

If you didn't guess Memphis and Ruby are her babes.
 I AM IN LOVE with those names. Aren't they great? 
Different and snazzy. 
They make a statement, and have such a good ring to them. 
Plus they make the name of her blog super cool!
I love it when blog names incorporate peoples kids (like mine!).
When you're done reading about how these names came about 
make sure you head on over to her blog to see what else Lena has to say - 
you're sure to love her as much as I do!

So, take it away Lena!

_____________________________________________________________________


Hi Everyone!


My name is Lena, I'm a 31 year old (almost 32! eek!) mom of two and I blog over at Mom2MemphisAndRuby.
You might guess that my children are named Memphis and Ruby... and you'd be right!  ;)
Of all the the things I've done as a parent... naming my kids seems to be what I am most famous for. At least, around the little town I live in!  ;)

You see, I live in a small farming community in Quebec, Canada (and if you're wondering... I am fluently bilingual!  Bonjour!), and although there are naming trends that come & go and people aren't exactly shying away from giving their kids 'unique' names, I seemed to have a picked a couple of names that have been well received by friends, family & strangers! 

My son Memphis was named in honor of Elvis... or more specifically, ''Rock 'n Roll.''  My husband threw it out there before I was even pregnant, and even though I LOVED it, I still went ahead and bought a ton of baby name books and searched online for hours & hours... until I realized that nothing compared to Memphis... it was different, withouth being weird, meant something to us and flowed well with the middle name I had already chosen (Mitchell).  It was perfect.  It's also a lot of fun seeing people's reaction to his name.  And he loves when he hears his name in a song (and there are quite a few about Memphis!)... I think he already knows that his name is special... and that makes me really happy!

Ruby, on the other hand, is a name we've loved for a really long time.  Early on in our relationship, baby names came up, we agreed we both loved the name and if we were ever blessed with a little girl, it woud be a shoe in!  Except by the time we were expecting her, we had grown tired of it... well, not 'tired' but I think the novelty had worn off since we'd only ever talked that THAT name forever.  So, we started a new list.  Winter was a top contender, as were Ramona, Madden and a few others...

The day we found out we were having a girl, we literally just looked at each other and said ''Ruby!''  It just felt soooo right.  We paired it with Ramona... a tribute to our favorite punk band, The Ramones.

Ruby is such a sweet name.  I think it's ''cutesy'' enough for a baby, but ages well.  Ruby is a classic.  It's not nearly as uncommon as Memphis' name, but so far she's the only Ruby in town!  I'm happy she won't be referred to as ''Ruby L.'' throughout her school years.  I was always the only ''Lena,'' but my sister was one of, at least, half a dozen Amandas... I just didn't want that for my kid. 


All in all, I am really happy with the names we chose for our children.  I sometimes wish I could have more babies so I could give them fun & interesting names too... but for now I'm content helping Ruby pick out names for her baby dolls (if she had her way they'd all be called Pretty Princess Unicorn or something like that!).
I'd love for you to share your naming stories!  I could talk baby names all day long!
I'd also love for you to visit me over at Mom2MemphisAndRuby... I blog about me with a little fashion, photography & humour thrown in!  I love meeting new bloggy friends too, so don't be shy!



Thanks so much to Katie for letting me visit Punkin' Heads and Dooda Loo's for the day!  Isn't she the best!?

6 comments:

Pidg said...

I love name stories...those are great. The thing is they go together. That's what people said about my kids that they went together, there wasn't a hiccup in the stream. I don' think the comment box will hold the six name stories for my kids. Haha! ;)

Cerrisse said...

Love how you got those names, such a great story!

Unknown said...

I love hearing how people come up with their kiddos names and the meanings behind them. What a great post you two! And I think that their names are FANTASTIC!

Nora said...

Kalyn is a very pretty name. I love hearing name stories. My hubby and I were just terrible at agreeing with each other. Terrible. lol

Blog hopping
would love to get follow back!
http://eyevida.blogspot.com/

M.R. said...

I love both of those names- they flow well and are different enoughwithout being too "out there."

And Mitchell is my brothers name!

mindofmr.blogspot.com

Just Another Mummy Blog said...

I love the unique names! My daughters name is Aislynn Ryder, and it took us a looooooooooooooooooooong time to agree on a girls name. Every one I loved, my husband hated, and vice versa.

We actually took her middle name from my hubby's fav football team. He's huge into football. Captain of the high school, college AND city team. Needless to say, he is into football in a BIG way.

Anyway, found you on the blog hop! Love your blog!

Care to Share?