Monday, April 25, 2011

All-Purpose Peppermint Cleaner

Ahhh....the smell of peppermint! Awakening and rejuvenating. So, why not make an all-purpose cleaner with it? It just may wake you up enough to make you want to clean your entire house (ya, I know, I'm dreaming)!

The label on my homemade cleaner needs a re-vamp, but, you get the picture!


Today I tried a couple of versions of this recipe. The recipe below is the one I liked best after tweaking the amounts of each ingredient to my liking. I decided to decrease the amount of castile and borax most recipes call for, which is personal preference. I love the way that vinegar cleans and wanted that to be my main "cleaner". Feel free to play with the amounts and come up with your perfect cleaner!

Here is how I made it.

What you'll need:

16oz CLEAN spray bottle
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tsp. borax
1 tsp. Dr. Bronners Liquid Peppermint Castile Soap (or any other scent you may want to try)
Hot Water

What you need to do:

~Add borax and vinegar to the bottle, fill remainder of the bottle with hot tap water. Shake well until the borax has dissolved.
~Add the castile soap and lightly shake again - there will be a little sudsing at the top of the bottle.
NOTE: Be sure to dissolve borax well before adding the castile or it will foam in the bottle when shaken.

This can be used on virtually everything EXCEPT windows/mirrors - it will streak. I'm working on a great glass cleaner and will post when I have the recipe perfected!

Happy cleaning!

No comments:

Care to Share?